Thursday, March 14, 2013

Bacon Cheese Stuffed Tri-tip

Most certainly my favorite dish, well, next to Ribeye, is another top family pick. Stuffing a Tri-tip, like any other stuffed dish, is easier than one might think. Therefore, don't allow yourself to shy away from preparing such an enjoyable meal. 

Throughout the pages of Carnivorous Intent, I have often promoted enlisting the family in the dinner making process. Not only to enjoy some quality time with my wife and 2 teenage sons, but to build relationships and to share my skills with them. Tonight was one of the nights and they chose to make Bacon and Cheese stuffed Tri-tip. 



Beef Tri-tip
Applewood Smoked Bacon
Provolone Cheese
Bell Peppers
Mushrooms
Onions
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Choice of Sauce


Donna cooking the bacon

Elias cutting onions
Elijah cutting bell peppers
Prep time is much quicker when the whole family lends a hand. Donna,my fiance, is precooking the apple wood smoked bacon just the way she likes it. Elijah and Elias practicing their knife handling skills just like dad and when I wasn't playing photographer, I was preparing the meat. When it comes to stuffed Tri-tip, I prefer to trim the fat completely. I remove the silver side also, because when cooked, the silver side contracts and not only takes away from the presentation, but seems to affect the tenderness of the meat. 

The greatest benefit of the entire process is the team work that the whole family element brings. Trust me when I say it's an awesome feeling to have my kids come and ask, " What else can I do to help, dad?" I love it! Yes it can happen. A family approved meal that satisfies everyone and they are willing to help prepare... ding, ding, ding! Winner!



Sliced mushrooms
Sliced onions

 "A good meal can bring the whole family together!"

Butterflied Tri-tip



Tri-tip and Provolone cheese
Tri-tip, Provolone, Apple wood Bacon
Once all the prep work is complete, precook the bacon, cut all the vegetables, and trim the meat, it's time to stuff the Tri-tip. 


First, I begin with a layer of Provolone cheese. Next I add the cooked apple wood smoked bacon. Typically I would then incorporate my sauteed vegetables, but the kids talked me out of it. Probably to try and sneak by without having to eat any. Don't worry, they didn't! 

If there is nothing else to learn from this recipe, realize this, there is the possibility to combine any number of ingredients to suit every taste. I use a lot of bell peppers, onions and mushrooms in my dishes, not only for their ease of use, but because of the sweetness produced from cooking them. A raw bell pepper is certainly not appealing to any kids I know. Neither is, well, anything classified as a vegetable. I personally love the "stuffed" approach to cooking because with the mix of flavors that I am able to expose my kids to in a pleasant, enjoyable way, teaches them that produce is not only good for you, but good tasting too.




Fit to be tied

"Umm... I think it goes like this."
Elijah and Elias practicing a Butcher's knot
 Learning how to tie a butcher's knot is not such a difficult thing. It's teaching someone else that brings it's challenges. Check out the intense concentration on all our faces. It took a little time, but they got it.


"Over, around, under and through. That's how I teach my son's to tie their shoe... I mean tri-tip!"


Stuffed, Tied, and ready to cook


Sweet chili sauce
Mandarin teriyaki sauce















400 degrees for 20 mins per pound. Delicious!
Stuffed Tri-tip, sauteed veggies and salad



Update: Left Overs

Left overs are sometimes just as good, if not better, than the original dish. Here is what we did. I diced up the remaining tri- tip into small pieces and fried that up with some leftover spanish rice. Add cheese and plain yougurt, wrapped in a tortilla to make burritos! Yum!











Click to discover all of ~ My Alternate Personalities ~ Thank you for stopping by and don't be shy to leave a comment , some feedback, experiences, or just a hello. About me... I am a single father of two amazing teenage boys and on schedule to be married to my love Donna after a short 5 years together. I love my trade as a Meat Cutter but realize it won't last forever. So I have ventured into affiliate marketing and my blog. Check back in a few months and lord willing we'll still be here doing great. Until next time. Grill On!                                                                                                                     ~FABIAN                            







No comments:

Post a Comment